Here we are at Harper's Ferry, West Virginia. Moving in with his dad has not caused a divorce. But I cannot tell a lie. We are both a little on the touchy side these days.
Here's what's been going on my life:
- School started, and I moved to my new school. Picture my usual angst, plus the added tension of a new work environment. I love my new school and my new teammates, but goddamn I miss my posse at NHE. It's hard to be without them. Once or twice I have actually cried because I miss them so much. It took me 4 weeks to remember how to get to music, art, and the technology lab in my new building. Not to mention remembering where the staff restrooms are located. And I still feel like I have to be careful in my team meetings and remember not to say stuff like, "Fuckin'-A! We're going to ignore that, right?" or "Fuckity-fuck that's a can of crazy!" or, my favorite, "Damn. That kid is such a little fucker." Maybe I should just look at this as an opportunity to clean up my language and be more professional overall.
- Pffft. Like that could happen.
- My new class of first-graders is really sweet. They are much like the kids at my old school. ESOL, FARMS, Low SES, high mobility. There is the usual range of behavior and personality: wriggly, angelic, exuberant, lethargic, affectionate, defiant. There are the usual family issues, too. Some really sad stuff.
- We are still living with my father-in-law. He is doing well and has even gained a little weight.
- Edgar Allen Poo was euthanized in September. He was 15 and a half, completely blind, and peeing all over the house. He wasn't my dog, you understand. He belonged to my mother-in-law. But he adopted me after she died, and it was hard to take him for that final ride in the car. Jesus Christ I'm sick of euthanizing pets. I want another dog, desperately. But we have to wait until we can figure out how to take care of it during the day, because my FIL really can't handle it.
- My mother is cheerful almost all the time and always happy to see us. She lives in her own house with her wonderful caregiver and her caregiver's little boy. Her health is absolutely fantastic, aside from the Alzheimer's.
- Sophie and Emma are both fine and are both working on their wedding plans.
This is an awfully shallow recap, I know. But I feel like I can't just jump right in yet. It's been so long.
I miss my blog.