Our rental house in Southern Shores, NC.
This is our first beach vacation without my mother-in-law. You may recall that she died only a month after we returned from the Outer Banks last summer. We wondered if it would feel strange to be here without her energy and humor, but it's not.
Well, maybe a lot.
In any case, we are at the beach.
Edgar Allen Poo is with us, of course. At home he sleeps with my father-in-law, but here at the beach house he is sharing a bed with Josh and me. The first night we were here, I reached down to tenderly pat him before I fell asleep and was rewarded with a sharp nip to my hand. I'm suing, of course. Edgar's defense attorney pointed out that he has arthritis and is tender in certain areas, but my lawyer countered with, "Well, April had much WORSE arthritis and never ever EVER nipped anyone in her entire life. GOD!"
I will let you know how it turns out.
Oh, and fyi, in case you wanted to know how the doggie diapers are working, they're NOT. So now we're just taking Edgar outside every 30 minutes or so to try and prevent accidents. With mixed results, I might add.
Sophie and Edgar. She's a huge help with him, fyi. He's a damned pain in the ass.
When I am not catering to Edgar's every need, cavorting in the ocean with my family, or eating something delicious that #1 Future Son-in-Law Paul has prepared, I am usually getting my ass kicked playing Boggle with Emma and Nathanial.
I think my score in this game was 27. Nate's was probably around 90-something and Emma likely topped 130. Brats, both of them.
Emma encouraged me to download the Scramble app to my phone, which I did, and now I am obsessively playing Scramble and getting my ass kicked there, too. Any minute now I will uninstall it in a huff and reclaim my life.
We had some excitement last night when #2 Future Son-in-Law Nate, who was gallantly helping my niece and her girlfriend get the coals going on the grill, stepped on some stones that had been super-heated by the charcoal chimney and sustained serious burns on the sole of his foot.
IT WAS A MEDICAL EMERGENCY AND I LIVE FOR THAT SHIT!!!
I may have gotten a little bit hand-flappy, I'm not sure.
I know the basic first aid for burns, which is immersion in cold water for at least 15 minutes. But I was certan this was a 2nd degree burn (large blotchy white areas, blisters forming quickly, foot swelling). Small 2nd degree burns can be treated at home, but this was 2/3 of the sole of his foot. A little hand-flapping followed by some swift Internet research revealed that this injury required professional medical care.
Josh and Emma took him over to the urgent care center where they inspected, bandaged, and prescribed. He came home looking pale and in a lot of pain, but seemed to relax when the pain meds began to work their magic. He has to go back in this afternoon to have the blisters cleaned and scrutinized.
Oh, and may I just say? Nate was cheerful and uncomplaining throughout it all. Apologetic even, for causing such a fuss. I love that boy!
More developments as they occur.
Josh and Nate goofing for the camera in the waiting room. Picture courtesy of Emma.